Guided exploration may help you better understand a topic and how you want to address it in your own family’s life. Our Guided Pathways offer Courageous Parents Network content organized by theme, with support for personal reflection. This section will continue to grow based on your feedback. You must be signed in as a member to access the pathways. If you have not yet registered as a member, it takes about 1 minute and is free. We promise not to send you lots of silly messages. We get it. Only the important stuff.Register or Login
This pathway will help you • Understand the concept of baseline and the role it plays in decision making. • Recognize your child’s shifting baseline and help you think about and prepare for changes in your family’s life. • Learn about how understanding baseline, and changes in it, can help you think about possible new goals of care, and the choices you will make, including for medical interventions, to achieve those goals.
The Siblings Experience
This pathway will help you: • Understand the sibling experience • Hear and See the common worries shared by other parents • Learn about coping strategies and tools others have used to help their other children, the siblings, cope with having a brother or sister with a life-threatening illness
This pathway will help you:
- Define anticipatory grief
- Understand the role anticipatory grief has played in the lives of parents like you
- Gain tools to cope with your own anticipatory grief
This pathway will help you:
- Understand that grief is an individual process; no two people experience it the same way.
- Appreciate that grief is ongoing. It does not have a timeline.
- Recognize that seeking support for your grief whether from professionals, friends, a spouse or other parents is important.
- Recognize how the loss of a child shifts your identity as a parent.
- Begin exploring the concept of personal transformation from grief.
Spinal Fusion Decision Guide
- Intro: This project (2 videos)
- Big Picture
- The Who (2 videos)
- The Opportunity to do it better (1 video)
- Step 1: Understanding how scoliosis may affect the child (4 videos)
- Step 2: Understanding hopes and concerns. Setting expectations. (2 videos)
- Step 3: Exploring the surgical options (2 videos)
- Step 4: Assessing perioperative risk factors; Setting Post-Op Expectations (8 videos)
- Step 5: Making the decision (7 videos)
- Step 6: Discussing the surgery with the child (no videos)
Guiding Siblings through End of Life
This pathway explores:
- the sibling experience in the days and weeks before and after the death of their brother or sister
- the common worries shared by parents as they care for their other children
- the tools others have used to guide them as they help the siblings face those last days